Boat owner FAQs
Check out these frequently asked questions for explanations about terms and coverages.
What types of boats does Ellis Insurance insure?
We offer insurance on a broad range of outboard motor boats, inboard boats, stern drives, jet drives, sailboats, houseboats, and personal watercraft, plus the boat equipment and trailers used in connection with any of the above.
How can I save money on my boat insurance?
Ellis Insurance is committed to safe boating, so we reward our clients with discounts on certain boat insurance coverages (subject to individual qualification and state availability):
- Safety course discounts. These are available to boaters who complete approved courses or programs given by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, U.S. Power Squadron, and National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA).
- Protective device discounts. You’ll save if your boat is equipped with a depth finder, VHF ship-to-shore radio, radar system, burglar alarm or operable radar, vapor detection system, built-in CO2 fire extinguishing system, or LORAN or Satellite Navigation systems.
- Diesel engine discount. Boats powered by a diesel engine qualify for a discount.
- Coast Guard certification discount. This is for boaters who have passed a Courtesy Marine Examination (CME) provided by the Coast Guard Auxiliary.
- Multi-policy discount. Save more when you have two or more policies with MetLife Auto & Home, including boat, auto, and home.
- Deductible savings. When you raise your deductible, you’ll lower your premium.
What type of losses does a boat policy cover?
You and your boat will be well protected with boat insurance from Ellis Insurance. Losses from the following are typically covered:
- Collision and more
Ready to learn more? Contact us for a quotation.